Our clear mission is to support the well being and betterment of our members, former and serving members of the Australian Defence Force and their dependents, through the provision of welfare and commemorative services, high quality facilities and hospitality for members and guests and, where appropriate, contribute to the needs of the disadvantaged within the City of Monash.
The Glen Waverley Sub-Branch of the Returned Servicemen’s League, Victoria was formed on the 9th September 1950, when 25 returned servicemen met at the mechanic’s institute hall (the Waverley Hall) Springvale Road, black flat.In 1960, our name was changed from Glen Waverley Sub-Branch to the Waverley Sub-Branch, at the time the City of Waverley was created from the Shire of Mulgrave. In 1963, an adjoining block of land was acquired and the first major expansion of our club rooms took place.
In 1968, newly liberalised Liquor Laws made it easier for clubs to obtain Liquor Licences. At a special meeting of the Sub-Branch in August 1968, it was decided that a Club should be formed and application made for a Liquor Licence. Membership by this time had increased to over 200 ordinary members.
Since that time the Waverley RSL Sub-Branch became an Incorporated Entity in 1998 and has since expanded its membership base to include and welcome many Social Members to our fold, to allow them to experience the warmth and hospitality of our RSL. This also helps to give the general public an appreciation and insight into the world of the RSL whether it be through the memorabilia on display, the daily observance of "stand to" , or a casual chat with a service or affiliate member over a meal or a beverage.
Since our beginnings as a triple fronted brink veneer house in 1956, our club has undergone two major redevelopments in 1994 & 2005, and more recently a refurbishment in 2016. Our business has developed to include a full table service restaurant, 100 person function room, and a well appointed gaming lounge and sports bar with TAB wagering facilities.
Our Club is a high profile hospitality venue with a well earned reputation for quality meals and wines, and compares well with other high calibre establishments within the Glen Waverley precinct.
Importantly, all this allows us to provide our Welfare Office with the resources it needs to be of assistance to our many Service and Affiliate members who may be in need of support - whether it be mowing the lawn of one of our wonderful War Widows, to assisting veterans in need of advice with issues relating to Dept of Veterans Affairs. We also consider it important to provide a safe and friendly environment for our many members who choose to use our Club as a regular meeting place.
Geoff Dare OAM
Bob McIvor OAM